Well, we are ready for spring. After Gavin's bout with croup, he tanked on us again, and how now officially been diagnosed with asthma. Blurg. He had been needing breathing treatments round the clock, but has transitioned well over to his asthma controller meds. He hasn't needed the "rescue med" (albuterol) is several days now. He is getting Pulmicort nebs twice a day to help supress his asthma. He is looking much better and finally (after 2 months of continual illness) is acting like himself. He is happy, playful and eating everything in site.
I guess Liam got jealous of all of the attention Gavin was getting and he decided to be sick too! He came home from daycare with a fever last Wed. He was acting fine and then when he woke up from his nap on Thursday, he was miserable. He had a cough and fever and was telling me that his throat and ears hurt. I looked in his ears and they were Ok, but decided to rule out strep throat. So, I took him in for an evening appt at the dr office. He didn't have strep, but did have a pneumonia. To top it off, he was wheezing too! The dr just looked at me and asked me if he had asthma. Seriously? So, we went home and had to start antibiotics and breathing treatments of albuterol.
My parents came in town Thursday night. It was nice for us because we had extra hands to help with all of the breathing treatments that the boys required. By Saturday, Liam was sounding awful and coughing a ton. I had to call the dr office and they called in some steroids for him. Today, he is looking much better. We are down to about 5 treatments a day. It has been quite the winter for the Stangler house and we will happily welcome spring.
I don't know what the future holds for the boys. I am pretty confident that Gavin will have asthma and need meds to control it. I am hoping that Liam's symptoms were illness related and will not need daily meds. We may just have to pay close attention to him when he gets a cold and make sure he won't need treatments to get through it.
Here are some pictures of the boys doing their treatments!

No comments:
Post a Comment